Every survival kit should include a sense of humor.
Professionals highly recommend laughs to release endorphins, bring about wellbeing, boost relaxation, as well as switch brain chemicals towards winning. How so?
1. Discharge endorphins into the brain so that pain can be reduced, and people appear happily distracted from difficult situations.
2. Trigger health by stimulating the immune system and connecting mind and body exchanges in positive and healthier ways.
3. Increase relaxation through added oxygen to the brain, better air exchange and fuel for deeper thought or learning.
4. Alter chemicals within the brain, in ways that reduce stress, lift emotions and contribute to and sustains a sense of well being.
- “If you lose the power to laugh, you lose the power to think.” – Clarence Darrow
- “If you want creative workers, give them enough time to play.” – John Cleese
- “The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect, but by the play instinct arising from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the object it loves.” – Carl Jung
- “Serious play is not an oxymoron; it is the essence of innovation.” – Michael Schrag
- “Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.” – William Jame
- “Humor has bailed me out of more tight situations than I can think of. If you go with your instincts and keep your humor, creativity follows. With luck, success comes, too.” – Jimmy Buffett
- “Keep your sense of humor, my friend; if you don’t have a sense of humor it just isn’t funny anymore.” – Wavy Gravy
- “Play so that you may be serious.” – Anarchasis
- “All work and no play doesn’t just make Jill and Jack dull, it kills the potential of discovery, mastery, and openness to change and flexibility and it hinders innovation and invention.” – Joline Godfrey
- “If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide.” – Mahatma Ghandi
- “Humor is by far the most significant activity of the human brain.” – Edward de Bono
- “Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.” – Peter Ustinov
- “The number one premise of business is that it need not be boring or dull. It ought to be fun. If it’s not fun, you’re wasting your life.” – Tom Peters
- ” What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet.” – Woody Allen
- Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritation and resentments slip away, and a sunny spirit takes their place. ~Mark Twain
- After God created the world, He made man and woman. Then, to keep the whole thing from collapsing, He invented humor. ~Bill Kelly, “Mordillo”